Saturday, August 29, 2009

Awesome Moment: Brüno

Until this Friday, I worked at a distribution centre for a company that sells stationery--pencils, pens, rulers, that kind of thing. Generally, I picked and bagged a variety of goods that stores and schools had ordered for back-to-school, and sent them off to the packers, who fitted them into boxes, and stuffed them with newspapers. Usually, the packers used bubble wrap, which was awesome, and at other times they stuffed the boxes with 6-week-old copies of the National Post--lord knows how they got them. It caused some of my headline-reading co-workers to jokingly comment "Michael Jacson died! Did you know?" all the way into late August.

One day last week, as I passed the packing tables, I was stopped by an acquaintance by the name of Ed. "Hey, Aaron!" he called. He pointed to a stylized graphic of Brüno taken from the Post and said "This is what Chan used to look like, eh?"

Chan was a middle-aged asian man, with black hair, and a strong accent. He stood at the table next, regarding this scene with amusement. I looked back at the graphic, which looked like it had been styled by a six-year old.

"Well, he looked alright back then. I gotta say, emitting pink is a rare quality in a man," I said, and they laughed.
"Oh, he brought in all the ladies." Ed returned. I frowned.
"I find that hard to believe," I said, pointing at the image, "seeing as he's gay." More laughter.
"Really?" replied Ed.
"Well, yeah. He is gay. Water is wet. The sun is hot."
Ed shook his head, calling "Ooooooooh!" He might as well have added, 'Are you going to take that?!'
I didn't mean that as an insult, so I said "No, he is gay. Brüno is gay." Really, really gay: I've seen the film. It was Ed's turn to frown.
"Who's Brüno?"
I just had to laugh. "That's it. I'm out of here. Goodnight, everybody!"

No comments:

Post a Comment