Sunday, January 17, 2010

Chris Brown Can Transform Ya, Part II


I was talking with a friend of mine, and he made an interesting point: did I care about Chris Brown? Why should I care now? I never particularly liked his music. Heck, since the publicity his actions got generated real discussion and action on the part of abused women's groups, maybe his assault did a lot of good, too. (It doesn't justify his actions, of course.)
But I had paid attention to him, as a person. He was famous, but more importantly: he was important. I read about him so that I could understand him better, and be able to talk about him. I was interested in him, cared--if only a little. And when he attacked his girlfriend, I personally disapproved: the part of me that took an interest in him was hurt. How could this person I'd never met be like that?! I felt betrayed!
And I cared a little more about Rihanna. No, I still don't know who she is and will probably never meet her, but I liked her music! I might still buy her last album. So I was surprised to find that I became defensive when she was assaulted. Chris Brown! You let me down! How could you?! I pretended to know you so well!
But that kind of interest in a person is dumb. In an essay that came with his album "Everything is Wrong", the artist Moby notes "I know more about idiot actors in hollywood that I've never met than i (sic) do about the womyn who lives next door to me (and is probably more interesting)." I read that recently and it really resonated: why should I care about people I've never met? I hardly know some of the people I see every day, and they surely are interesting; why should I invest myself in the lives of the people in the news? Sure, Brad Pitt's an alright actor, but I don't think he's any more important than the person who wrote his script, or the person who produced the film. (Ironically, I'm starting to care more deeply about Moby now. Still, I admire him for his intelligence, and that's a good start.)
I follow these people even though I know they're not really that special because they're topical: I can discuss them, make bigger points by referencing what they do. Heck, in part I I discussed spousal abuse and the sexist nature of the music industry by examining a Chris Brown song! And I bet many of you reading this wouldn't have if I'd just written some stuffy academic article on the subject: "the music business is sexist. Here's why." (multiply that by 6 pages, size 8 font, 2 columns.) I know I certainly enjoy reading about celebrity lives more than some abstract opinion piece: the knowledge that what I'm reading isn't all that important gives me a little thrill. And after discussing them, and paying more attention to them because I know their lives aren't really that important, I start to invest in them as people. It's weird, I know.
I'm being harsh on myself, though. Celebrities garner attention from millions of people, even though some have no discernible talents. And even in our own lives, the same technology that has allowed us better interaction with the popular people of our time (the airplane, the telephone, the internet, etc.) allows us to connect with each other over long distances--and some of those people, we will never meet. I think it's all a little unnatural, since it means that there will be people who have deep relationships but will never meet each other, for example, but it's certainly beneficial. And the care we place on celebrities is not based on logic but emotion, which is infinitely more powerful--no wonder a movie starring Megan Fox can rake in millions at the box office while important philosophy papers on the free will debate lay unfunded. Should we reject our emotions, and the care we place on celebrities, whether or not they are reasonably worth celebrating? No: if we grow attached to a person, it's best that we not immediately wonder if that attachment is the rational thing to do, but let it grow. (You should check to see if those ties are harmful first, though!)
I often hear people rage in anger or confusion about how this supposedly-awful film or another made tons of cash, while Art House Film X made no money at all. I'll still probably be bugged by such things now and again--what can I say? Reason is awesome! And Independence Day was sooooo stupid!
...But I get it now.

No comments:

Post a Comment